GALL AND INGLIS CARTOGRAPHERS.
This company was based in Edinburgh as were Bartholomew and Johnston.
They were Ordnance Survey Publishers in Scotland for a time- which may have given them access to older OS plates which they could adapt.
They inherited a series of 1/2” and 1/3″plates from Cruchley, the railway map printer. He had got them from Cary and Cary, the sons of John Cary, who had adapted them from the Ordnance Survey in the 1820s-30s. Thus a Gall and Inglis map of any time between 1877 and 1914 could have at its base an OS original survey of as far back as the 1800s.
Gall and Inglis concentrated on the traveller, either the train traveller or later the cyclist and motorist.
They produced “bespoke” maps for local stationers and booksellers which were taken from their England and Wales series but printed for more local needs and on these roads were often coloured by hand for “the cyclist” or “the motor tourer”. These were printed with covers citing the seller- “Mr Shipp Stationer of Blandford- Cyclist map”, for example, but Gall and Inglis were the named printer on the map surface.
They produced a pocket series for Cyclists which returned to the ancient strip map format for “The Great North Road” and other routes. Later these small waist-coat pocket sized books, which usually had red cloth covers and black printing, were adapted for the motorist.
They seem to have been printers of maps rather than a Cartographic surveying company, for the railway maps have a clear OS-Cary-Cruchley heritage, and the maps in the Strip Map series cite Bartholomew as the cartographer.
Over the years their addresses changed:
It will particularly be noted that Paternoster Row London is cited from 1872 onwards. The company tended to migrate its business south as that market grew.
1808-10 Old Assembly Close, Edinburgh
1811-15 259 Cowgate, Edinburgh
1816-18 Kincaid’s Court, Cowgate, Edinburgh
1819-28 Nidry Street, Edinburgh
1820-21 165 Cowgate, Edinburgh
1822-24 28 Nidry Street, Edinburgh
1824-41 24 Nidry Street, Edinburgh
1831-35 22 Nidry Street (also)
1841 15 North Bridge (also)
1842-57 22 Nidry Street & 38 North Bridge, Edinburgh
1857-78 6 & 13 George Street, Edinburgh
1872-74 30 Paternoster Row, London, (also)
1875 25 Paternoster Square, London, (also)
1909 31 Henrietta Street, London, (also)
1878 20 Bernard Terrace, Edinburgh
1924 12 Newington Road, Edinburgh
The Company emerged from Turnball & Gall with name-changes at the following times:
1808-10 Turnball & Gall
1823-24 Hay, Gall & Company
1841-47 James Gall & Son
1847-48 James Gall & Co
1849- on Gall & Inglis
The implication of the above is that Turnball and Gall founded the company in 1808 with Mr Turnball possibly the senior Partner. In 1823 Mr Turnball was succeeded by Mr Hay who being cited first was also perhaps the senior partner. James Gall became sole owner in 1841 and formed a partnership with Inglis eight years later when the final name became established.
Mr Inglis’s full name was Robert Inglis ; Harry R. J.Inglis, a son, is the cited cartographer of the strip maps circa 1900.
They produced a 65 sheet series of 1/2” maps of England and Wales, issued originally by Cary between 1836 and 1865 , and by Gall and Inglis from 1877 onwards.
One advertising list on their railway map of c1890 cited: The Reduced Ordnance Map of London; The Handy Map and Guide of London; The 6d Plan of London; The Suburbs of London; The Environs of London; London to the Kent and Sussex watering Places; and 60 miles North of London. These were some of the plates worked by Cruchley in around 1850, and inherited by Gall & Inglis in 1877.
The Contour Road Book of Ireland by Harry R.G. Inglis was first published 1908.
Gall and Inglis were publishers and printers, which are not necessarily synonymous: as printers they produced maps which were published by Letts, or Smiths, or local booksellers- sometimes the cover was altered covers to hide their name, if the commissioner wished it . On Lett’s maps sometimes the commissioners paste an appliqué label over the publication details from the printer- altering “Gall and Inglis” to themselves.
Gall and Inglis published maps until the 1960s.